CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 15, 2010

Mealtime Made Easier? ... We shall see!


I am in the kitchen preparing the nightly meal and the kids come in and ask, "What's for dinner?"

I promptly let them know the dinner menu that I am in the midst of preparing, and I hear groans and teeth smacking. It does not matter if it is something they enjoy, that we have had a million times, somehow, it does not please ALL of them on the same night. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD THAT HAVE NO FOOD AND YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO COMPLAIN? I cannot tell you how many times those words have come out of my mouth. I always feel like such a "parent" when I say them too! You would think that after all this time they would know better... right? (No comment from the peanut gallery).

Now, I love planning party foods and special occasion dinners; however, meal planning on a DAILY basis is almost like getting a root canal for me. I DO NOT enjoy doing it every day! The expectation of having something planned that pleases everyone is next to impossible. When I prepare dinner, I do not expect backflips and cartwheels due to overwhelming thanks and excitement of what is about to be served, but I would like a little appreciation. After all, if I were not preparing the meal, they certainly would not be fixing one for themselves. Also, apparently, sandwiches, soups (except chili), and cereal are not acceptable alternatives for them. Seriously, if someone made dinner for me EVERY SINGLE NIGHT... I would be THANKFUL!

So, I digress. The point of this is to talk about how I am going to make mealtime easier. I bought a dry erase calendar that I have velcro'd to the side of the refrigerator (not a great style sense, but practical). On this calendar, I have planned out what I will be serving for dinner for the month. Everyone may check out the calendar, cry, moan, pout about it (to themselves)... then get OVER it and come to the dinner table with a happy, thankful heart...or not eat.

On the other positive side of my pre-meal planning, I am thinking it may save me money at the grocery since I will not have to just buy stuff with the possiblity of using it at some point. Also, I will know what I am planning to use and can optimize my couponing. Only time will tell the result of my great new idea. However, if this does not work, I believe I will go on strike... indefinetly. A few days without dinner on the table might just bring a change of heart... or weight loss!

3 comments:

  1. Holly here is a blogger's website that I get emails from and every Monday she posts a weekly menu. She also has a whole bunch of blog links that might be of interest to you. Hope you can find something on there to help you out!
    http://orgjunkie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Love it! I think we should have a GN where we share recipes with each other. Recipes that are easy, quick, and yummy for the family. I'm always looking for new things to cook :)
    We missed you all Sun. night. I hope you are all feeling better soon!
    Emily L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super idea! I plan for the week...but not ambitious enough to plan for the month. Let me know how it works!

    ReplyDelete