CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 18, 2010

Heartbreaking...Haiti

For the past five days since the earthquake in Haiti, a story has weighed heavy on my mind. Apparently, Peggy and Ken Bourland went to the same church that we were attending in South Florida, First Baptist of Weston. Although I did not know the family, he was Air Force and had been in Haiti during the tragic earthquake. His wife, Peggy, had exchanged an email with him 10 minutes before the event. Following the email, she went to turn on cartoons for her son, and saw the news brief about the Haiti disaster. She immediately sent an email to her husband asking him to tell her that he was ok... an email still unanswered.

I have been following her Facebook status and waiting and praying alongside of her for the safe recovery of her husband. Her faith is so strong and she is so inspiring. Yet, I find myself in tears for her... for her children... for Ken, who, if alive, is struggling to survive while waiting and hoping to be discovered.

I know that he is not the only person trapped in Haiti in this unfathomable disaster. My heart is so heavy for all of the poor people who are waiting for word of their loved ones. SO many will never know what happened to their friend or family member. They are burying masses of people in holes or burning them in mounds to get rid of disease and body wastes. What year are we in? It seems like in this day and age, this would not occur. Yet, life goes on normally, everywhere, but in Haiti. Please pray with me, for this country and for all of the people affected by this tragedy.


I will leave you with a few of Peggy Bourland's posts. I


http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/17/airforce.major.missing/index.html


Peggy Bourland Post (yesterday afternoon): We know you are praying for us as we can feel the Spirit's power giving us strength. We also ask that you would pray for Ken to have strength. The strength that comes only from God to those who have put their trust in Jesus, as Ken has. We are hurting and can only image what Ken is going through. We are believing God for a major miracle!!!

Peggy Bourland Post(last night): Sorry so late for the update but my boys needed their mommy for bedtime tonight:) I heard from my contact that the status hasn't changed, but they are working very hard 24/7 to find Ken and the many others still trapped in the Hotel. I still have HOPE ! I will not stop praying..Thank you again for the encouragement and... constant prayer. I am at a loss for words. God Bless You All ! Peggy

Peggy Bourland Post(this morning): I spoke with mine and Ken's good friend from Southcom this morning and there is still no new news to report but that they are working very hard. We know that God is a miracle worker and "if you seek Him you will find Him". Our faith is in the Lord our Saviour. Ken, we love you and we are not giving up !!Hold on they are coming ! I love you all,Peggy and family.

Peggy Bourland Post(this afternoon): "I will be strong and courageous.I will not be terrified,or discouraged; for the Lord my God is with me wherever I go." Joshua 1:9..I sent this verse with Ken to wear around his neck while he served in Iraq in 2004. I just felt the need to share it with all of our friends and family who are still praying for us..Love Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment