CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cats at the Campground...

Well, Blake is trying to bank some hefty Accelerated Reader points for school. He has tallied all of his points and has to read 16 more to meet his goal. After going through his books, he has decided that the Animal Ark books are the best option for him. At 4 points apiece, he can read 4 and be done. They are interesting little books about husband and wife veterinarians and all of the animals that he and she deals with. So, the boys are in separate rooms, reading of course, and I go through the living room to put Holden in bed. I see the light on in the bathroom and immediately assume someone left it on unnecessarily, so I go to turn it off and Blake is standing in the bathroom sobbing uncontrollably. He begins telling me about this book that he was reading tonight about a dog with bone cancer that had to be put to sleep.

Almost one year ago, our sweet and beautiful Chocolate Lab, Sassy Tess Brown, had to be put to sleep due to bone cancer and it devastated the whole family! Blake wanted to discuss every detail. He wanted to know WHY? He wanted to know if it was necessary. He wanted to know if it was because he mistreated her in some way. Finally, he wanted to know HOW. The anguish on my little boys face was unbearable. To see the hurt and pain he was feeling demonstrated all across his sweet little face just broke my heart. I held him and we cried together as the tears streamed down his cheeks. "Why did she get cancer? How did she catch it? I wish I could have just had a little more time with her. I wish I could just have one more day with Tess."

So, I explained the following to Blake:
God decides when he is going to take all of us from this earth. Only God knows the day that we will depart from this body. We could die in a car crash tomorrow, or from old age many years down the road. You cannot live your life for tomorrow. You have to take everyday for what it is and not put off loving those in your life. You have to give your time and your love at the only guaranteed time you will have... this moment.

2 comments:

  1. Way to grab that "teachable moment" and impart truth to Blake!
    The passing of our beloved pets is one of life's hard lessons. So sorry he was going through that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMWord, Holly! Thanks! Now I am at school sobbing...if you see me later with no make-up on, know that it is your fault!
    Blake has such a big, tender heart! You are an amazing mom!
    As for the post below, I'm sure Gavin didn't even know he had anything to forgive you for. With four boys, you're gonna have to take it easier on yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete